"A time is coming when people will go mad and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.' " (St. Anthony the Great)

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

hierarchy

Obey your leaders and submit to them; for they are keeping watch over your souls, as men who will have to give account. (Hebrews 13:17)
I have often heard criticisms regarding the hierarchy of the AC. Indeed they cannot make everyone happy, nor do I think that is (or ought to be) their aim. I only hope that they are concerned with our goodness more than our happiness (a lesson Ter Ktrij taught me regarding marriage).

I am not the Catholicos of all Armenians; I am not a bishop; I am not even a priest. Therefore I do not have their perspectives. I see certain things in a certain light because I am me, in my position. Why does the Catholicos not allow more English in the Patarag? I do not know--why not ask him? He has such a broad perspective on the state of the AC, as well as a particular vision for it. Whether or not we agree with him (or our bishops, for that matter) on certain issues, is irrelevant. 

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore he who resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of him who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. (Romans 13:1ff.)
I am sure that there are some times where their decisions may not be completely in line with God's will (they are, after all, merely human), but there is something to this whole obedience thing, something that teaches us humility. This humility which allows us to serve those above us on this earth translates, I believe, to one which allows us to serve the will of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment