"A time is coming when people will go mad and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.' " (St. Anthony the Great)

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

we are his little ones

We love, because he first loved us. (John 4:19)
I remember growing up, going to Sunday School, and singing "Jesus Loves Me". I know the words (By the way, check out the many other stanzas, they're really cool.), I repeated them countless times, yet often I forget that Jesus loves me. I just forget.

I think many are in the same situation. We want to feel loved, we want to feel important, we want to be cared for—and we are, I think we simply tend to consider the wrong sources. If we remember that God already loves us, we are important to him, and he cares for us, what more do we need from anyone else?

I want to be important in my job.
I want to do something meaningful with my life.
I want to effect positive change in the world.
I want to feel important within the life of the Church.
I want to have a voice.
(Are you with me? Do you feel the same way?)

These things do not really matter. Who do I think I am, really? I am important, I am cared for, I am loved. And so are you: you are important, you are cared for, you are loved.

You do not have to believe me, but read your Bible. The message is in there too. Pray, have some quiet time with God today. You do not even need to talk—just listen. It may be somewhat difficult at first, because in our society we are so used to talking and noise. Fight it; fight it with all you have. And if/when you realize that you cannot do it alone, pray that God give you that strength.
"I believe; help my unbelief!" (Mark 9:24)
In fact, read the whole passage of Mark 9:14-29. Get out your Bible, or read it here. Trust me, it is worth it.

Okay, so "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so." Now what? We should (and I do not use this word very often) listen to what he tells us to do. He loves, so we are to love him and others (cf. Lk 10:27). When we do not want to love others (of course, this never happens (sarcasm)), let us remember that he loves us, and he loves them just as he loves us. Even if we do not like it, it is true. St Cyril of Alexandria said, "He stretched out His hands on the Cross, that He might embrace the ends of the world" (Catachetical Lecture 13.28). That means you and everyone else.

Now go out there and love!
He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment